Chef Anthony Russo is the son of first-generation Italian immigrants and grew up in a New Jersey home where the kitchen was the center of family life. There was always cooking and baking at home, and many of the ingredients came from the family garden. Just the way Grandpa and Nonna Russo did back in Avellino, Italy.
These experiences stuck with young Anthony as his family moved to Galveston, Texas, in 1978. His father opened Russo’s Italian Restaurant, which quickly became a local favorite. Just like that, Anthony found a second home in the restaurant kitchen. By the age of 12, he was learning family recipes from relatives who flew in from Naples and Sicily each summer. Making pizza and scacciata (calzones) became his passion. Since launching in 1990 in Houston, his original approach to New York-style pizza and Italian cuisine has been a booming success from coast to coast, with franchise locations nationwide and expanding internationally. The world over, Russo’s New York-style pizza has come to symbolize the excitement of the city where traditions meet and travelers stand in line for a slice of the action.
It’s all about the food, and that’s what Russo’s has been all about since 1992. Russo’s secret recipe is family recipes, which are over 100 years old, with their custom blend of spices and proprietary ingredients, that will leave competitors far behind.
Recognition and Awards
- 2019 top food franchises of 2019 in United States by Entrepreneur Magazine
- 2018 Pizza Today’s “Top 100 Pizza Companies”
- 2017 Best Pizza Houston by Houstonia
- 2013 Inc. 500’s Fastest Growing Companies – #4180
- 2012 Inc. 500’s Fastest Growing Companies – #2715
- 2012 Pizza Marketplace Magazine’s “Top 100 Pizza Companies”
- 2012 Pizza Today’s “Top 100 Pizza Companies”
- 2011 Inc. 500’s Fastest Growing Companies – #3463
- 2011 Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Restaurant Franchises
- 2010 feature in ‘Every Day with Rachael Ray’ Magazine as one of the best pizzas in the United States
- 2009 best Calzone in Dallas by D*Magazine
- 2009 top 120 restaurants in United States by Entrepreneur Magazine
- 2008 Best Pizza Houston by Houston Press